Friday, February 24, 2012

I am going to NYC for the weekend and am comptiplating whether to bring my Nikon D200 and expensive lenses. I am worried about being mugged and having my equipment stolen. I am taking the train from Albany to NYC leaving 8am coming back at midnight. I use this equipment for wedding photography and have a wedding to shoot in 2 weeks and can't afford to lose it. How safe is NYC and how likely will I get mugged. Thanks.|||Isn't paranoia wonderful?

I like the suggestion of carrying your camera in something that doesn't raise a flag but then, that also makes it snatchable.

I've been to NYC many times and though I haven't really had cause to spend much time out on the streets at night, the few times that I did, I didn't have any problems. Maybe being 6'6", intimidating, and fit might have had something to do with that, but I don't give the aire of being a victim.

Try going to Detroit (the most dangerous city in America - with a Democrat Mayor of course) and NYC doesn't seem so bad. Chances are, where you will be will NOT be in Queens or suburbs of Brooklyn which could give you pause... I don't care for Yonkers either but then I don't like NY for it's crap politics just like I hate NJ for the same reasons... and Newark is MUCH worse than NYC.

Don't be a victim but then don't be afraid either. The reason things are called 'prey' is because they present themselves as such to predators. Be casual, make eye contact and walk like you have a bomb strapped around you. The aura that will surround you then will be felt by anyone who passes you "this is one lady we need to give respect too" is the thought confidence provides.

Enjoy your visit, take your D200 with you (it's still an expensive camera to replace when you don't have money to burn) and don't carry it where it can be snatched.

Common sense prevails and stupid is what stupid does. Don't be stupid, that's all.
.|||I just came back from NYC last weekend (Oct 11th,09) and I had debated taking my expensive camera as well, I ended up taking it, I just made sure that I had it around my neck the whole time. Noone tried mugging me, especially if you stay in the safer areas. The only difference between the two of us is, I do photography for leisure, and if you have a wedding in 2 weeks, I would refrain from taking it just out of respect for the bride. I'm sure she wouldn't be too happy if she got a phone call saying that you can't shoot her wedding because you lost your camera. Good photographers are hard to find, especially in such short notice. Plus, it wouldn't give you a good name. I know these are all what-ifs, everything could turn out fine, its really up to you and your gut feeling.|||I envy you for going to NYC but not for worrying so much about it concerning your camera. I have no experience visiting NYC to my regret, and only have an inexpensive camera that's very dear to me. so who am I to judge or advise? now, the city doesn't come across as scary to me at all (I think that was just way back). so I hope you're reassured by the answers you got and I definitely wish you take your camera and the opportunity to have amazing pics of an amazing place. but if it doesn't feel right and you're still uncertain, don't hesitate to leave it at home. your behavior might just attract the wrong people and the worrying might spoil the trip altogether. wishing you a wonderful time!|||I grew up in NYC and Moved to Portland Oregon and now in po-dunk town. Noone is going to do anything to you in NY. There is a murder a day in NE Portland. Unless you start some Shooit noone is going to hurt you. Thinking you're a bad butt might get you punched but noone is going to steal your camera. We're not monsters in NY, we just won't stand for your bullshirt.

An apartment on Manhattan island costs $1500 per month at least, going well past $10,000 for one month. people who live in the city don't need your crap.

__________

P.S. Might I point out I am the only one here so far with more than a weeks experience in that town.|||It depends on where you're going. There are safe neighborhoods and not so safe neighborhoods in every city. I was in Manhattan this weekend with a dSLR and some expensive glass. I kept it in my backpack until I wanted to use it. However, I saw a score of people walking around with SLRs.

I think that it's not necessarily the gear that makes one a target. Rather. it's whether or not you look like a rank tourist. Just don't gawk.|||Since you are a wedding photographer you should bring your back up camera instead of best one. You will more than likely have no problem anyway. I've had many of my good cameras in the City without incident.|||I would take your camera with a Nikon 50mm 1.8 for the whole trip. Or, if you are super paranoid, get a good point and shoot for around $200.|||carry your camera in a diaper bag.|||bring it!! lots of great photo oppurtunitys!!!!!!|||Are you a Model, Photographer, Make up Artist or a Brand?

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment