Friday, February 24, 2012

I currently live in NY and have a BA in Advertising and Marketing. Since the recession is strong in this area of business, I have been debating going back to school in a new subject area. I am very interested in possibly teaching high school in NYC.

I was curious as to what is the criteria needed to do this and what schools or programs I should look to if I decide this is what I want to do.

Any good information about this is greatly appreciated!|||At the moment, there is a hiring freeze on at the NYC Dept. of Education.

Schools cannot hire anyone who is not yet a teacher in the system.

However, there are certain hard to fill jobs that might eventually be freed from the hiring freeze.

These would be jobs teaching high school math or any teachers licensed in special education.

You would probably not be hired as a high school math teacher, even with certification. If they are going to go outside of the hiring freeze, they are looking for people with a strong background in math. However, you could be certified as a special education teacher.

I should warn you, though, that there is a reason that there is a shortage of teachers in this area. It's a hard job!!! It depends on the school and the population of students you are dealing with. But first year teachers usually do NOT get the plum assignments, and this is often a MUCH harder job than being a regular classroom teacher.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment